New European Bauhaus
EIT Community Initiative
Supports are subject to the following rules:
- You can support up to 2 projects.
CLIME: Transgenerational climate voyage through time and space via AR technology (Pula, Croatia)
The CLIME project was designed in order to optimize heritage experiences to climate resilience and the recent experience of climate and connected cultural change and adaptation and inclusivity and to revive ‘Councils of Elders’ connection with Youth. In so, the purpose is inverting the relationships between city and nature by conceptualising cities in the natural environment by providing a gamified AR mobile app for youth where they can “clime” both physically through nature and culturally as experienced by our elders.
In Western culture the disconnected living “devalues” people as they age. The generation gap is extremely pronounced, with the elderly being socially excluded and their knowledge and experience not visible. The transgenerational transfer of knowledge has been forgotten, and the historical and cultural heritage insufficiently visible. For this reason, society is losing its existing resources for sustainability.
Solution proposed, focus area
The main goal was to connect generations in a common goal of tackling climate change by using technology to share an experience that stretches over the lifetime of elderly citizens and benefiting from their strategies of living in rapid climate change. By mapping the narratives of the elderly, a AR tour of the city and city surroundings was designed, through which educational content on sufficiency will be adopted in a fun and recreational way.
- Reviving ‘Councils of Elders’ connection with Youth by making it digital
- Archiving and researching collective memory of climate change and the way it affects lives, architecture, food, work, travel, tourism
- Strategic use of heritage and culture for planning and restoring connection in public space
- Using new technologies (AR) to connect generations, spaces, heritage, nature and narratives
- Generating intergenerational climate awareness/understanding.
- Reviving the historic city and anthropological space of the Mediterranean
- Generating educational content on sufficiency and life in accordance with the rules of nature.
- Youth (Pupils and students)
- Wider audience
The applicability of AR solutions to a wider audience - the reason for choosing AR is precisely its applicability to a wider audience. As input for an older generation, it can be used to archive their climate stories and experiences forever as well, as we discuss a business model to generate income. For younger audiences as well as visitors of a city AR is very popular and can be used on every cell phone. In addition, for scientists and researchers, digitally archiving this form of anthropological climate data is extremely useful for research. Therefore AR technology is not just as an output (a game) but is also a digital database of climate anthropological research to be preserved and shared.
- Anthropological research - reaching to older interlocutors; fieldwork (interviewing), collecting material/archives and analysis
- Development of AR mobile application/game
- Bi-weekly check-in meetings
- Simultaneous translation of material for the app/game into English (from Croatian)
- Game testing - organized first tours of the city via the app game - involvement of users
- Testing the game app on students of local schools in the city of Pula - a meeting of students and the elderly
- Bi-weekly check-in meetings with EIT Climate-KIC
- Launching the game to the public - involving a wider audience and the ability to download the app game to mobile devices for winter/Christmas vacation/tourists
- Organize the high-level event by the City of Pula and the local tourist board
- Webinar for interested cities on the experience and discussion on scaling and business model for tours of the elderly as well as comparative use of the data
- The final meeting of the partners - conclusions, recommendations, reporting, scaling and social impact measurement
Impact House, City of Pula, Gamechuck, Terra Hub
The “Clime” AR mobile app was generated that connect generations and give us educational content about life in the past, life before plastic, before significant climate change, about the self-sufficient life of our elders. With this mobile application users will be able to take a tour of Pula, generate a physical map of the city of Pula based on stories and create an open database based on research.
For more information please visit CLIME web page
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?